Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Riverside?
In a variety of ways, smart components like surveillance systems and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We have the ability to get updates when a stranger arrives at our front steps, and we can have video segments delivered to us when suspicious activity is happening. Having components we may communicate with via the internet warns us of prospective hazards instantaneously. But there is one main downside. The simple access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for virtual intrusions.
Even though you don’t have to get yourself in a panic fretting over smart home hacking in Riverside, you ought to be aware of the potential safety issue and take steps to circumvent it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It would seem that practically everything is connected to the internet today - home security equipment, TVs, and even your home appliances like microwaves and refrigerators. This also generates more pathways for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. Even so, you don’t need to eschew wireless home protection packages or other smart components. Instead, consider these recommendations and do your part to keep intruders away from your network.
- Create strong passwords: This is a requirement for every account, and that includes your home Wi-Fi. Use upper and lower casing and an assortment of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Stay away from dates of birth, street names, or other things hackers could easily figure out. A password fabricator will give you something completely random and a password management tool can aid you in keeping tabs on your different accounts and passwords.
- Avoid default settings: When you first unbox that new router, chances are it will come with a standard password to facilitate the setup. Adjust it immediately. Hackers are likely to have these default settings too. Establishing your wireless network and home router properly in the beginning is critical in maintaining your security.
- Consider more than one network: Why include your smart fridge, your security sensors, and your work laptop on the same network? Most routers will let you set up a different guest network. Take advantage of it and protect important information found on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for commercial networks. They may also be used on home network. Firewalls will pay close attention to what’s happening on your network and stop suspect activity. You can opt for a router including an integrated firewall.
- Use the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a newer router, you may have the chance to utilize WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You should look for home security devices that use 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Ensure firmware and software is updated: Keep your firmware and software on the most recent version for all components, and that includes your connected camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will patch various susceptibilities and bolster your network’s security.
Be Cautious of Lower Quality Smart Home Components In Riverside
One of the perks of working with a trusted company like ADT is knowing that security devices are consistently being monitored to check for susceptibilities. Other knock-off brands may not be quite as diligent. Buying your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and additional smart devices from a single reputable company like ADT makes sense. And deciding to have all of your systems hooked up at once will go a long way to ensuring flawless integration, security, and performance. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, employs two-way encryption when communicating with your smart equipment.
Request Your Own Riverside Home Defense Package
Since you now have a better idea on how to keep your private network secure, you’re ready to get started on your own home security in Riverside. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to customize the right package for your property. Contact us at (951) 253-3041 or fill out the form to get started.